Sunday, June 20, 2010

Half Full






Well, we're almost done.

A few finishing touches, some clean-up, and as Marna would say, "another gee-gaw or two" and we'll be ready to really show off the new facility. I must admit to being extremely proud of how it's come together. But as much as I appreciate the compliments about how beautiful it looks, how comfortable it is, and how we've managed to update the entire facility while maintaining the homey welcoming vibe, I think the thing that pleases me the most are all the thanks and accolades I get for my optimism.

People just seem to be amazed that in these times someone is willing to take a risk and expand. As Forrest Gump would say in his Alabama drawl, "It seems to give people hope. Now I don't know about that, but..." to be fair, I'm sure that some of these compliments are veiled comments on my sanity. And occasionally, someone is honest enough to ask, "Why the Hell are you investing in Michigan? This place is dead, the pie is gone!" Let's face it, most in our business are simply not in a place where expansion and capital expenditures of this type make a lot of sense. The fact is, neither were we. But it had to be done.

It wasn't just that our place needed a face-lift; the entire audio industry in this town needed one, so we took the leap of faith and went first. If that makes me crazy, so be it. I love my clients, even the ones that are a pain in the ass (and you know who you are) and I have always wanted them and my staff to not only have a place to go to work, but feel at home. It makes for happier people and better results. I also believe that this town still has so much amazing music to offer and that these artists deserve a world-class, comfortable and yes, affordable place to make it. Yup, it's world-class. A great collection of modern and vintage microphones and pre amps, just about every recording, mixing and mastering tool you could ever need, incredible sounding rooms, even a custom designed computerized balanced power unit that controls the flow of electricity in and out of every room perfectly. And if you know our staff, then you already know why people like it here. If you don't, you're in for a treat.

If I sound crazy, then I am. But if it sounds like my glass is half full, it's not...it's overflowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment